Friday 25 October 2013

Watch This Space..

I’ve always wanted to do something for charity. Not something I was obliged to get involved with at school or sixth form, but something off my own back that I raised the money for, no matter how little or how much, so I knew that I’d done something positive for an organisation that helps so many people.

I could have chosen something like a skydive, it looks scary as hell and I can’t imagine how brave you have to be to do it.

But I love adrenaline rushes. So I thought, maybe I’d actually enjoy it. Not the whole staring-out-of-the-plane-shit-scared bit, that moment just before the jump, but when you’re actually in free-fall in the air… it must be incredible. Really, really terrifying, but incredible all the same.

Basically, I wanted to do something that I really knew I wouldn’t like. Because I feel for me, personally, it will be a great challenge to do something that will take the utmost willpower and determination.

So (deep breaths) I’ve decided to go sober for the entire month of January.

Now, you may think that I’m completely mad comparing that to something like a skydive, but hear me out…

Anyone who knows me will know how much I like a drink. I am in no way an alcoholic (despite what my parents may tell you) I’m just your average 20-year-old student, living in a city where it’s cheap as anything to go on a night out. Oh, and peer pressure times a thousand!

As well as that I am of course a regular at the football; Saturday drinking is just what I do, especially watching Birmingham play!

The idea first came to me when I heard about ‘go sober for October.’ I decided not to do it because of my birthday, however in hindsight staying sober would have been the better idea…

But the thought still stayed in my mind. And today at the gym, on the treadmill, I had a moment of clarity where, when I normally stop running and start to slow it down, I whacked the speed up and kept on running.

I thought, if I can do something as little as this because it will make just a slight difference to my body, why can’t I do something big to make a difference to people’s lives. And so the idea came to the forefront of my mind again and I decided then and there to go for it.

So, I’m yet to pick a charity; however it will probably be a cancer charity (primarily lung cancer) or the hospital in Manchester that recently helped my granddad after he had lung cancer and had to have operations.

I hope to choose the charity as soon as possible and then set up an online page for donations and I’d really appreciate it if you could donate, no matter how big or how small.

For anyone who knows me, they’ll know this will be a big challenge for me, but something I am more than happy to do if it means even just a small amount of money can be raised for people who work hard to make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment